Re: printing confusion

Klaus Jantzen wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Paul Cartwright wrote:
I am using Lenny, up2date. I use CUPS for printing, and everything prints just fine for MOST applications. I just tried to print a web page, and I think it was a flash type page. It brought up a very small window that ( I thought) had the correct gutenprint printer, and I said OK. nothing printed.

lpstat -t shows:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1
device for Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20R380 Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 accepting requests since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM EST printer Gutenprint_USB_Printer_1 is idle. enabled since Sat 21 Nov 2009 06:09:54 AM EST

I had Gutenprint problems with my HP6 laser printer. changed to foomatic and it works now. YMMV

I also have an HP6MP and with Gutenprint it "takes ages" to get an output.
What did you change to use foomatic?

In the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers pick the printer and, in squeeze anyway, select in the administration dropdown select Modify printer. Select Continue on the first two selections until you get to the 3rd which allows you to select different PPDs. I tried all the selections for the HP6P and found that the HP LaserJet 6P foomatic/ljdith worked best for me. Once you highlight your selection click Modify Printer. You can then set the options you want the printer to have, like dpi, etc. Then find the 'print test page' to try it out.

In squeeze there are only 5 choices for the HP6P so it doesn't take long to find a PPC you like.

I have configured my HP6P with 4 different names. printer 6P is set for 600 dpi, HP6 is 150 dpi, HP6P is 300 dpi, and PDF is when cups creates a PDF file also at600 dpi.

Again this is for squeeze. IIRC there is no Admin box in the earlier version of cups. There were a bunch of options boxes under each printer instance. Look for a Modify button, an options buttion and of course print test page.

Please do NOT write directly to people on Debian User. We use the list because, in that way, everyone get to learn.

I hope that is help you and I am putting it back on the list for the benefit of others having the same question.

Tschuss

Wayne