Re: Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:22:05 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> dijo:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> > I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> > html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
> > it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> > Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> > Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> > intention of changing.
> >
> > So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
> > for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
> > either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
> > Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
> > the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
> > to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
> > a button to choose the application.
>
> You don't say what version of IW you're running, but on mine 3.5.5) I
> do Prefs / Apps, and then select the dropdown 'Action' menu for the
> 'mailto' entry, which includes a choice 'select other'.  IIUC, you can't
> invoke sylph directly, since there's no way to pass it the '--compose'
> option, so just follow these directions:
>
> http://howto-pages.org/mozilla.php
>
> Works like a charm.

Great web page. I tried the instructions, but I can't get it to work.

That is, I copied and pasted the script from that page into a Gedit
document and saved it as Iceweasel_mailto_link_to_Sylpheed in ~/. Then
I went into Iceweasel's Preferences > Applications > mailto and
selected "Other." But it won't take the script in the box. I tried
renaming it to something 8.3, but still no joy. I note in Nautilus that
the icon for the script indicates it is a script. I seem to recall that
you had to make a script executable by right-clicking on the file in
Nautilus and then going into Properties. But the Properties dialog box
no longer has that option. Maybe I have to make it executable from the
command line. Or maybe it already is automatically. In any event, I am
still stuck, although this approach seems promising.