Re: Iceweasel annoyance

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:51:51 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
> html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
> it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
> Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
> Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
> intention of changing.
>
> So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
> for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
> either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
> Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
> the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
> to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
> a button to choose the application.

You don't say what version of IW you're running, but on mine 3.5.5) I
do Prefs / Apps, and then select the dropdown 'Action' menu for the
'mailto' entry, which includes a choice 'select other'.  IIUC, you can't
invoke sylph directly, since there's no way to pass it the '--compose'
option, so just follow these directions:

http://howto-pages.org/mozilla.php

Works like a charm.

[I've been meaning to do this for a while; your post finally gave me
the impetus :)]

> And there is the annoyance. When I click on the button I get a Nautilus
> browser window. Like I know where the Sylpheed executable file is
> located or what it is called. And you MUST use this browser window to

Doing:

$ which sylpheed

tells you what you want to know

Celejar