Iceweasel annoyance

I shouldn't blame Iceweasel, because when I used to use Firefox it did
the same thing. And they are not the only apps that annoy me with this
"feature."

What is this annoyance?

I am on a web page and there is a link for Contact Us. I know little of
html, but I think the code behind the link is "mailto." If I click on
it a window pops up on the desktop inviting me to configure Evolution.
Well, Evolution is not configured and never will be configured. I use
Sylpheed for my mail reader. I am very happy with Sylpheed and have no
intention of changing.

So I went into Preferences > Applications in Iceweasel and noted that
for mailto only Yahoo mail and Gmail were listed. I don't want to use
either of them; I want it to launch a Compose Message window in
Sylpheed. So I deleted them. Now when I click on the Contact Us link in
the web page Iceweasel pops up a little box that says "This link needs
to be opened with an application: Send to:" -- and then I can click on
a button to choose the application.

And there is the annoyance. When I click on the button I get a Nautilus
browser window. Like I know where the Sylpheed executable file is
located or what it is called. And you MUST use this browser window to
select the application. You can't just type the name of the application
in a box like you can when you edit your Applications menu.

If I right-click on any other file on my computer I get an "Open with"
dialog box where I can choose from a list of installed applications.
Why can't Iceweasel present me with something like that? Grrrr.