New Debian install problem

I just installed Debian 5.0 and it seem to install just fine. After the installation I rebooted my computer and Debian Linux loaded up, when it goes into the graphics part I see a blue screen with a symbol that reminds me of the hour glass symbol from Microsoft Windows. After the symbol disappears it should go to the login screen but it does not. It goes to a solid white screen where there is nothing but the mouse pointer. I am not sure what is going on? Do you have any ideas? Could it be a problem with my graphics card? I have the following in my computer;

AMD 1.2 Ghz processor
512 Mb Ram
Diamond graphics card with ATI 9250 chipset with 128 MB ram
80Gb hard drive
CD Drive
CD Burner

Any help would be appreciated!!!