New Debian install problem

Mike,

A mouse pointer is a good thing as it means X is probably working.

To get a login window you need a "display manager" of some sort.

Usually its "gdm", but could also be mwm, kdm, and several others (I
think).

Make sure that gdm is installed, e.g.

ii  gdm            2.20.10-1      GNOME Display Manager

Your version may not necessarily match mine.  jDepending on your setup
you may be running one of the other display managers.

Try

  dpkg --list | grep -i "manager"

and see what shows up.

If there is a display manager installed, then there is some issue with
the start-up scripts.

Brian