Re: Intel D945GSEJT LAN and Debian not working

On Nov 11, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Alex Samad wrote:

can I suggest probably the easiest way to check is get a latest live cd
and boot from there, they normally have the newest kernels on them

Yes !!! Problem solved. I am the proud owner of a Sid, or squeeze (?), installation.

I'd like to take a little time to explain what I did for those who fall into a similar situation.

I used this iso (The sid distro appears to use the 2.6.30 kernel):

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

Overall I find the linking to all of the different versions somewhat confusing. For example there is a link to weekly builds
which points to  a directory tree which does not have anything in it.

The problem is that getting the right vmlinuz and initrd.gz is important and I can't remember where I got them, because of all
the confusing links.  I'm pretty sure it was from here:

/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media

I used the sysconfig method on a flash stick, which was very easy and worked exactly as appears in the installation
instructions.

Now here's the really important part:

I HAD TO UNPLUG THE POWER TO THE MOTHERBOARD.

Unbelievably the ethernet hardware seems to have gotten stuck and power off-on using the power button did NOT fix it. The fact that the ethernet could stay in such a state really points to how bad a job someone did on the design of either the
motherboard or the LAN chip hardware.

The key to this problem, which I was slow to realize, was that lspci did NOT show the LAN pci device.

So I physically disconnected power, plugged it back in, and booted using the prepared filesystem.

Held my breath and the ethernet was detected !

Strangely the system seems to be referring to "squeeze" instead of sid (?).

Well, that was a pain :-(

I don't know whether one of my other install attempts would have worked had I realized that the power needed to be physically disconnected. I have seen this behavior on another computer and what is highly coincidental is that it was also the ethernet which was having a problem on that computer.

I have had some hiccups and have noticed that several times when re- starting the installation I have to unplug the power. Aaaaah, quality Intel hardware. Well at least it _mostly_ worked out of the box...

Brian

There seems to be a lack of coherent information about this stupid
chipset.

realtek has just joined ati as something I will never spend money on
again.  Intel is about to join that list too.

Intel's web page for the board says that Ubuntu 8.10 works with the
"native" drivers.  8.10 is ancient, and is probably the
same vintage as Lenny, right ? So this thing should already be working.

Any help _greatly_ appreciated (as you can tell by the time :-)

I was up late goofing around with this.  Linux, still the same after
all these years :-(

Brian

--
"The United States Congress was right to renew the terrorist act -- the Patriot Act."

	- George W. Bush
09/07/2006
Atlanta, GA