[OT] Old machine bsd vs. linux

Hi,

Sorry to ask specially through this list...

I've been a linux user for around 10 years now, however lately some
800MHz Coppermine machines are not performing as well as they used to.

What I've read in this same list in the past, is that for the purpose
of still not letting them die, using openBSD, or perhaps freeBSD, is
the way to go.

However I was looking for benchmarks, or some data that would support
that idea.  The only benchmarks based on data I found, are pretty old,
and pretty much based on networkin/servers, such as:

http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability

I don't use a desktop manager, but still use X with window manager
(fluxbox has been my choice for all these years).

If any one could share pointers to more up to date benchmarks, which
are as well oriented not just to networking and servers, it'd be
great.  The idea is to find data supporting the initial idea of
freeBSD or openBSD providing better performance for old machines...
Well, that might be a wrong assumption to start with, but that's what
I've read...

Thanks,

--
Javier.