Re: Intel D945GSEJT LAN and Debian not working

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:44:42AM -0800, brian wrote:
It's an Atom board known as "Johnstown".

Can't get the ethernet to work (it's a gigE, Realtek), the rest of
the installation seems to work fine.

I was hoping someone else on the list has this board and has found a
debian install iso which will work.

5.03 most definitely does not.  It installs the r8169 driver, which
seems to be broken.

> have you tried getting the realtek driver and using it. I had to do this
> for 2.6.25-~29 until the mainline r8169 came up to speed

oh, where to begin.

the realtek page (curse them !!!!) says that the kerner driver is just fine.

of course, the #@$! idiots don't tell you which version of the kernel that applies to. $#@!!! morons.

Then there's the problem that using the netinst install doesn't give you enough tools to be able to
build a driver anyway.

So I figure my best option is to use a full CD install of either debian testing or ubuntu 9.xx to get
the latest drivers in hopes that they will work.

I was hoping someone could identify a disty that would work for sure before I descend into hell once more.

I assume from your post that kernels >= 2.26.30 work ?

And this is for a Johnstown board or some other board that you think has the same chipset ?

There seems to be a lack of coherent information about this stupid chipset.

realtek has just joined ati as something I will never spend money on again. Intel is about to join that list too.

Intel's web page for the board says that Ubuntu 8.10 works with the "native" drivers. 8.10 is ancient, and is probably the
same vintage as Lenny, right ? So this thing should already be working.

Any help _greatly_ appreciated (as you can tell by the time :-)

I was up late goofing around with this. Linux, still the same after all these years :-(

Brian