Re: setting screen resolution to 1366x768

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:32:32PM +0200, Alexander Kaphuk wrote:
Hi,
I have installed Debian Lenny on a Compaq Presario. The screen
resolution was automatically set to 1024x768.
This resolution seems to be the highest available based on the
output of 'xrandr'.
The native screen resolution for my laptop is 1366x768.
I'd appreciate anyone suggesting how to go about it.

without spending all day relearning how to do it, the basic procedure
is to specify a new mode.
You can do this dynamically through xrandr at the command line. Read
the manpage for instructions on how to specify a new mode. I believe
it looks similar to the old ModeLine stuff from xorg.conf. Once you've
successfully added the mode through xrandr, you can select it and test
it out. If that works, then you'll want to take the mode line
specification and put it into xorg.conf to make it available to X on
startup.
I would like to add a few issues i've been facing...
I see that by default I can set up a resolution as high as 1280x <something>, But for some reason the refresh rate for that resolution is not available and the monitor starts flickering... So im stuck with 1024x768..
Anyway I can increase the resolution and yet not see flickering?

There are a couple of modeline calculators available on the net, and
I'm pretty sure there is one available in the standard repo, but I
don't recall the name.
hopefully that is enough to get you headed towards a solution.

Regards,
Shampavman c.g
www.shampavman.wordpress.com