Re: Should I go ahead with the full-upgrade

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 11:12:02PM +0100, Raven <raven@vp44.net> was heard to say:
> What I wanted to know is if aptitude, when removing "mysql-server-5.0",
> keeps the data files and makes them available in v5.1.

  I can't tell you the answer to that because aptitude does not make
that decision; the mysql package does.  In my past experience, database
servers leave the database on the system (some of them ask and default
to keeping it).  But I'm not a database expert and I know particularly
little about mysql.

  If you're really worried, I'd suggest taking a test machine,
installing mysql 5.0 and storing some data in it, then upgrading to 5.1
and seeing whether the data is kept.

  Daniel