Include a ftp client in initrd

Hi,

I am using Debian Lenny with the default 2.6.26-2-686 kernel and the default initrd image.

My aim is to just boot the kernel and initrd image. I don't want to mount the "real" filesystem from the hard drive or any other storage device.

I know how to mount an initrd and make changes in it and then zip and compress back again. However I need your help with the following question:

I want to include a ftp client program in the initrd image and write a shell script in the initrd image that will execute the ftp program.

What is the best way to do this?