Fw: Solved: ? Re: How to change the domainname ????

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik Grootjans" <edgrootjans@versatel.nl>
To: "Tom H" <tomh0665@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:22 PM
Subject: Solved: ? Re: How to change the domainname ????

Tom,

After your reply, i did look some deeper in the avahi-documentation and came acros the following tekst:
http://avahi.org/wiki/AvahiAndUnicastDotLocal

It seems that avahi uses the .local and with the implamentation of avahi on the system, there are some problems using a the .local domain and avahi.
It is advised NOT to use the .local domain and avahi.
So the remark in syslog is only a mark of binding the hostname to .local for avahi and not the REAL FQDN.

So it should not give any problem to use the thuis.local domain and avahi.

I guess problem solved

Erik

Avahi and Unicast Domains .local¶
mDNS/DNS-SD is inherently incompatible with unicast DNS zones .local. We strongly recommend not to use Avahi or nss-mdns in such a network setup. N.B.: nss-mdns is not typically bundled with Avahi and requires a separate download and install. Background: The Zeroconf protocols Avahi implements are known as mDNS and DNS-SD. mDNS (short for Multicast DNS) is based on traditional (unicast) DNS, but the two systems do not interact. mDNS is used to manage a special cooperative zone .local where all local mDNS servers can freely register host names or services. Before mDNS was introduced the domain .local was sometimes used in non-public (unicast) DNS servers to assign names in LANs. Unfortunately some networks still use this domain that way. If Avahi and nss-mdns is installed properly a machine does not contact a unicast DNS server when resolving names from the .local domain, thus the unicast DNS domain .local becomes unreachable. If you come across a network where .local is a unicast DNS domain, please contact the local administrator and ask him to move his DNS zone to a different domain. If this is not possible, we recommend not to use Avahi in such a network at all.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom H" <tomh0665@gmail.com>