Re: eth1 disappears after kernel upgrade

Anthony Campbell wrote:
On 10 Nov 2009, Γιώργος Πάλλας wrote:
Anthony Campbell wrote:
When I installed kernel 2.6.30-2-686-bigmem my eth1 disappeared, so no
wireless. Not a problem in practice because I simply revert to
2.6.30-1-686-bigmem and it's back, but I'd like to understand what is
happening. Does it need a bug report or is it a "feature"?

Anthony

It seems to me strange to lose your wireless just from 2.6.30-1 to 2.6.30-2.
Do you remember if your wless was playing out of the box with 2.6.30-1 ?

Do you happen to use any of those broadcom sta modules?

Boot into 2.6.30-1 where your wireless is recognized and send us an
lspci -v (just the wireless part)

Giorgos

Yes, you are right. I'd forgotten this was a Broadcom wireless. I'm not
sure if the modules are available for the latest kernel.

Anthony

I also have such a card. I have noted the following instructions for doing after a kernel upgrade:

aptitude purge <everything-with-broadcom-in-the-package-name>
aptitude install broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source

# module-assistant prepare broadcom-sta
# module-assistant auto-install broadcom-sta

and reboot!

(you need internet to get the packages, so first boot the kernel where wifi functions, do the first two commands, then reboot to the new and issue the next to commands)