Re: A laptop installation challenge

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 11:16:55AM +0000, AG wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking that the way forward would be via the GRUB prompt I was
able to get off of an old floppy, but to do so would mean being able
to by-pass LILO and boot into the first partition on the HD (/), and
then go into LILO.conf and change it to accommodate the larger
kernel or dispense with LILO in favour of GRUB.

if you have a grub prompt, you may be in luck. You can do quite a lot
from a grub prompt. YOu don't even need to know the contents of the
partitions to make it work because it will do tab completion for you
(depending on the version, I suppose, but I don't know) as well as find.

Probably you need to do something like

root (hd0,1)
initrd /path/to/initrd
kernel /path/to/kernel kernel-opts here
boot

YOu'll probably have to play around with it, but on the assumption
that the *only* problem is the boot loader, any grub disk should get
you going.

Andrew

Thanks - that will be useful info to play around with just to see if I can get something to happen.

Lisi has already said that she'll send me a floppy with which I am hoping to turn this otherwise plastic hunk back into something usable.

One way or another, I'm hopeful for a happy ending to this particular matter :)

Cheers

AG