Re: A laptop installation challenge

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 09:40:12AM +0000, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> was heard to say:
> On one disk I found something that booted into the grub prompt.  I
> did some reading up on grub and some basic commands.  I didn't get
> very far - it reports back that there is an ext2fs loaded on
> /dev/hda1 which I'm assuming was root, although I am sure that when
> I partitioned the drive today I selected ext3.

  ext3 volumes can be mounted as ext2.  The main thing is that you don't
have journaling, but that isn't too important for read-only access.

> The boot loader
> installed today was lilo, because I changed the lilo.conf file to
> point to the new vmlinuz and initrd.gz files, so that is what is
> being used.  I don't know if grub can use/ by-pass lilo?

  grub is a bootloader just like lilo is.  It can chainload into lilo
(that is, boot lilo from a partition as if the computer had booted into
it directly) or boot a Linux image directly.

  The usual command for booting from hda1 would be

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-686 root=/dev/hda1
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.30-1-686
boot

  but of course they might need to be adapted for your situation.

  Daniel