Wireless and the rate

Hi,

My wireless key works almost fine. I just have a problem with the rate.
Here is the output from iwconfig :

wlan1     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"xxxxxxxxxx"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point:
00:18:39:3A:21:4C
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:xxxxxxxx   Security mode:open
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=63/70  Signal level=-47 dBm
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0x

The bit rate is at 11 Mb/s but I download all files at 300 ko/s, not
more. The rate seems to be limited.

What to do ? If I do "iwconfig wlan1 rate 54M", the connection freezes.

Regards