Re: xpdf printing with pdftops

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 17:58:51 +0100, Andreas Goesele wrote:
> >on the command line, but gives the warning:
> >
> >>GPL Ghostscript 8.62: **** Could not open the file lpr .

> Despite the warning the file is printed, just that additionally I get
> the warning and a non-essential image is replaced by a blurry box.

Is the page expanded to fit the paper?

> The first variant:
> cat test.pdf | gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile='%pipe%lpr' -
> gives the same warning.
> The second variant:
> cat test.pdf | gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=- - | lpr
> works without warning (but still with the blurred box replacing the
> image).
> Inside xpdf
> gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=- - | lpr
> prints the page without warning, with the blurred box and
> unfortunately without expanding the page.

Hmm, I am starting to think that maybe we should try a different
approach. Which printing system do you use? CUPS, for example, has the
"fitplot" option which might do what you want, or e.g. "scaling=95" to
scale the file to 95% of the page size.

Regards,            |
          Florian   |