Re: xpdf printing with pdftops

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 19:35:57 +0100, Andreas Goesele wrote:
> >cat test.pdf | gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -o %pipe%lpr -
>
> >The above combination of commands prints test.pdf on my default printer
> >after scaling it to fit the page. Therefore I would hope that the
> >following works as a print command for XPDF (which I have not used in
> >years, though):
>
> >gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -o %pipe%lpr -
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. The first line works (more or less) on the command line, but gives the warning:
>
> GPL Ghostscript 8.62: **** Could not open the file lpr .
>
> (I say more or less, because an image isn't printed correctly but replaced by a blurry box.)

I would call that "not working at all".

I have GPL Ghostscript 8.70, maybe I used syntax that is not supported
by version 8.62.

You can try this variant:

cat test.pdf | gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile='%pipe%lpr' -

Or you can tell gs to send the output to STDOUT and then pipe it to lpr:

cat test.pdf | gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite -dFIXEDMEDIA -dPDFFitPage -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sOutputFile=- - | lpr

> The second inside xpdf gives the very same waring, but prints pages which are not scaled.

I think we should first try to make it work correctly on the command
line.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |