Re: Help needed in getting WiFi working with Debian

Foss User wrote:

> I just checked that I don't have the firmware-iwlwifi package
> installed. I'll be installing it now. But without the firmware
> package, why do I get an output for ifconfig wlan0? Is it because of
> some other firmware package being installed? Can I verify this
> somehow?

I wish I had a better answer for you. But in my experience with the
3965/4965 the device is always visible. Yet it won't be usable without
the firmware. As a matter of fact, the installer will even prompt you to
load the additional firmware via removable media, but as of Lenny it
would fail and is a known bug. Supposedly it will be worked out by squeeze.

However, once you have the firmware installed you should have no
additional problems connecting. Aside from g-n-m quirks that may develop.