Re: virtualbox and usb thumb drives

2009/10/25 Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com>:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Raquel <raquel@thericehouse.net> wrote:
>>
>> I believe that you need to get the Debian PUEL version from the
>> VirtualBox web site.  That's the one I use and I have no problem
>> whatsoever using memory cards, USB drives of any sort.
>>
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>

> Thanks. I'm running Sid.  I noticed that on the virtualbox.org
> download page they do not have a download candidate for Sid.  Only
> Lenny and Etch.
>
> Have you used either on Sid?
>
> Thanks.

I use the lenny version on both squeeze and sid. They have a debian
repo if you want to keep up with updates. The instructions are in
their download page: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Basically, you insert this line in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian lenny non-free

And import their keyring:
# wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc
-O- | apt-key add -

then,
# aptitude update
# aptitude install virtualbox-3.0

You will need the headers for your running kernel. I also recommend
having dkms installed. This will ensure that whenever virtualbox (or
the kernel) is upgraded, its modules will be recompiled automatically
so that you don't have to worry.

Hope that helps!

Cassiano Leal