virtualbox and usb thumb drives

On a sid system I recently installed virtualbox-ose and have it up and
running o.k.  I installed a guest OS in the form of WinXP, which was
also pretty straightforward.  However, when in the guest WinXP OS and
inserting a USB thumb drive, I an unable to view the USB thumb drive.
It does not list whatsoever under Devices/USB Devices or anywhere else
for that matter (although it does show up under my sid host).

Does the Debian version of virtualbox support USB drives?  In my
google searches to resolve this I saw references to needing the PUEL
version in order to access USB drives.  Is that correct? Or am I just
missing something painfully obvious (but not to me)?

Thanks
Kevin