Can several instances of Transmission "share" router ports?

Howdie, fellow Debianites!

Now, this may be a silly question to ask, but anyway...
My home router is running out of redirectable ports, so I was
wondering: what would happen if I just configured the default
Transmission ports in the router and then let several users run
Transmission concurrently? I mean, without changing anybody's settings
from the defaults, so that all instances of Transmission used the same
ports? Would the packets somehow "know" which instance of Transmission
to reach, or would I just make a horrible mess? More generally:
can the *same* ports be "shared" among simultaneously running
applications or not?

P.S. I'm talking of users which are set up on the *same* physical box,
of course (a Debian Lenny w/ Gnome desktop, on a 192.168.*.* home
network) and can actually all be logged in at the same time using
Gnome's "switch-user-without-logging-out" feature.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801