Re: Can several instances of Transmission "share" router ports?

Klistvud wrote:
> Howdie, fellow Debianites!
>
> Now, this may be a silly question to ask, but anyway...
> My home router is running out of redirectable ports, so I was
> wondering: what would happen if I just configured the default
> Transmission ports in the router and then let several users run
> Transmission concurrently? I mean, without changing anybody's settings
> from the defaults, so that all instances of Transmission used the same
> ports? Would the packets somehow "know" which instance of Transmission
> to reach, or would I just make a horrible mess? More generally:
> can the *same* ports be "shared" among simultaneously running
> applications or not?
>
> P.S. I'm talking of users which are set up on the *same* physical box,
> of course (a Debian Lenny w/ Gnome desktop, on a 192.168.*.* home
> network) and can actually all be logged in at the same time using
> Gnome's "switch-user-without-logging-out" feature.

Eduardo already answered. I just wanted to add some suggestions to get
around this problem.

What exact model is your router? I might be possible to load an open
source firmware(dd-wrt, openwrt, tomato(?), etc.) on it where this port
forwarding limitation is not there. This would be, IMHO, the best solution.

Another option could be, if your router allows it, to forward a range of
ports to an IP address (your users are on the same physical box), but
configure each user to use a different port within that range. For
example, if you have 10 users, forward 50,000~50,010 ports to your IP
address, and configure user0 to use 50,000, user1 to use 50,001 and so on.

Regards.

ever having been read.