Re: Could you recommend CD/DVD writer program?

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 05:26:05PM EDT, Neal Hogan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> The use of Debian.
> >
> > And therefore discussing _debian_ mailing-lists policy.
> >

> I'm curious . . . when you mention this are thinking of the many
> threads involving rants about gmail, hotmaill, outlook, etc.,
> reply-to-sender, reply-reply to list, etc.?

I'm not interested in whatever mailer they use to post to the list, as
long as they abide by the list's policy.

As far as I can tell, the folks who run these lists are doing a great
job and I trust their choices.

Please note, that I didn't start this reply-to-list subthread but all
the same, I felt that I had the right to voice an opinion.

> If so, in what sense are they debian issues (i.e., the distro you're
> running)?

debian mailing lists are an intrisic part of debian because they provide
support to the user community.

http://www.debian.org/support

I used RedHat for about a year and saw nothing remotely comparable.

I had a few experiences with ubuntu forums and found them quite friendly
but pretty much useless whenever I needed solid technical advice.

As such, anything that relates to debian mailing lists always gets my
attention.

> > How does the choice of a CD/DVD writer program have anything to do
> > with the distribution you are running?

> It's an issue of (distro) supported devices . . . no?

He's not asking about devices. He's asking about CD/DVD writer programs.

In any case, my feeling about this is that if there is a bug in the
debian packaging of one particular program, or if the program has a
major security hole as shipped by debian, then it clearly becomes a
debian issue.

Otherwise, strictly speaking, anything that has to do with the
particular program's merit of lack thereof, how you configure it to best
suit your requirements, etc. is just about as OT on debian-user as my
favorite color of underwear.

Please note, that I was not complaining that this particular issue is OT
to the list, just saying that there is nothing debian-specific about it.
It's worth discussing per se, and if the OP is looking for sound advice,
he's probably spot on asking here rather than elsewhere, even if he's
using another distribution.

All the same, there's absolutely nothing debian-specific about this
matter, unless he suspects certain CD/DVD writer programs are more
likely to be more compatible with debian than others, or function
differently in a debian context :-)

In any case, this was just an example of one particular thread among
thousands that raise issues that are not debian-specific.

Hopefully, this will satisfy your curiosity. ;-)

CJ