Re: Raid help needed !

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 05:17:22PM -0500, Jack Schneider wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:23:59 -0500
> Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:03:26 -0500
> > Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com> wrote:

[snip]

Hi

From what I can gather there seems to be 2 problems that are happening
here.  Let me see if i can re state them to confirm that i have
understood properly.

you have to (atleast) kernel that you boot of your machine

2.6.26 & 2.6.30

When you boot from the 2.6.26 everything work fine and when you boot
from 2.6.30 it fails during the boot process, during the fs system
check, asking you to enter root password and fix file system.

The other problem is that when you enter the password and try to
mount/fix filesystems you get errors on execution (is this right, I am
unclear).

You have a md0 which is your /boot (raid1 I presume) and a md1 which is
a pv -> vg -> a bundle of lvs including swap and root.

what you can try when booting 2.6.30 you could edit the grub boot line
and remove the quiet option and add debug this should give you a bit
more of a view of what is happening during the boot up process.

Also when I would try is to edit the 2.6.30 grub line (you can do it
during boot up so as to not make it permanant) add in init=/bin/bash

this will drop you into a bash shell inside your initrd, this is before
the root fs is loaded.  There are only a few tools here because of the
space, but all the tools to mount and check you system are available

cat /proc/partitions
cat /proc/mdstats

pvs
vgs
lvs
mdadm

I would use this to build up your system by hand (or you can check the
scripts in initrd - there are pre defined debug point )

so check /proc/partitions
build the md devices
mdadm -A /dev/md0 <devices>
mdadm -A /dev/md1 <devices>

then a lvmscan check what lvm find with pvs , vgs and lvs

if they all look okay, then try mounting them one my one and running a
fsck on them.

Alex