Re: Configure wifi access / Free.Fr / WPA (TKIP/AES)

Celejar wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 14:03:22 +0200
> Mathieu Malaterre <mathieu.malaterre@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>   I am trying a very simple task: connect to my wifi using a my
>> debian box. Setup: My wifi box is made by Free.Fr (French ADSL
>> provider). I did setup the SSID to be foobar, no broadcast, and
>> security "WPA (TKIP+AES)". I hit generate and it gives me a password.
>> I can connect using WinXP no problem.
>>
>>   Now if I try to connect with my debian box, I click on the
>> network-manager and select 'Connect to Hidden Network', set security
>> to 'WPA/WPA2 Personal' and copy paste the password as I would do on
>> winxp. It does not connect at all.
>>   I tried then:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/Manual-Howto#AuthenticatewithwpausingPSKTKIP.
>> It still does not work and I get (*). What am I doing wrong ? What are
>> the tool to understand what is going on wrong ? Should I select
>> another type of security ?
>
> I)  Turn off security entirely, and see if you can connect.  If you get
> the same failure, we can rule that out as the problem.
>
> II) Post the relevant logs (syslog, perhaps dmesg).  These are
> invaluable in determining what's happening.
>
> Celejar

Yes, and also tell us where you are posting the password (which application
are you using to configure your wlan access)

I am using both with knetworkmanager and without. without the manager I
should configure wpa_supplicant and both ways work fine. Sometimes the kill
switch is turned off so turn on and check with iwconfig (/sbin/iwconfig
2>&1| grep -i tx-power)

regards