Re: [OT] List policy -

On 2009-10-12 16:03 (+0200), Tom H. wrote:

> In order to reply to the list, I choose "reply" and change the "to"
> field to "debian-user...".
>
> I assume that some people choose "reply to all" and it makes others
> unnecessarily angry about receiving two identical emails.
>
> Non-Debian lists do not behave this way. Choosing "reply" is set to
> send an email back to the list - even on sun-managers where the policy
> is to reply off-list and have the OP post a summary.

In my experience there are three kind of conventions:

 1. "Reply-To" points to list address and people press "reply" button.

 2. People are expected to press "reply to all" and they _want_ to get
    Cc. Many developer lists, especially high-volume ones, use this
    convention. If you don't use "reply to all" or don't Cc to relevant
    parties you message may go unnoticed. On such lists the list
    software does not change "Reply-To" field.

 3. The Debian style: "Reply-To" does not point to the list and many
    people get angry if they get a Cc which they did not request.

I don't know which one is "correct"; it seems that the debate will go on
forever. At least on debian-user this seems to cause a lot more
discussion than on the other lists I'm on. Anyway, before the Net God
comes and puts all things straight we just need to adjust ourselves and
our software to applicable conventions.

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
them.