Re: starting Idesk automatically in IceWM on Lenny

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 22:52, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Yes.  But I omitted to mention that because I forgot, that putting an & after
> both startx and Idesk results in Idesk running correctly - but only if and
> when I open a terminal: and Idesk then closes when I shut the terminal down.

Why are you using startx in a .Xsession? If you're running the X
server by entering startx in the console, then having startx in
.Xsession will launch a second X server, no? So, regardless of how you
start up your X, the .Xsession file should not contain startx.

All entries in your .Xsession or similar must end with &, so they'll
run in the background, except the last one. This last one should be
your window manager. For instance, mine's this:

exec xscreensaver -no-splash &
exec /usr/bin/fluxbox

Yours should be:

exec idesk &
exec /path/to/otherapp &
exec /usr/bin/icewm

I've tried idesk before and gave up for some reason, but i think i had
it working...

HTH

--
()  ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail