starting Idesk automatically in IceWM on Lenny

The box boots automatically into IceWM in 32 seconds from a standing start.

I have Idesk configured to my satisfaction, and it runs beautifully if I start
it manually after I have booted up and IceWM is running.

Any attempt, however, to make Idesk also start automatically, results in Idesk
running fine - but not X and IceWM.  The desktop looks odd (as if it hasn't
finished loading), and although all the icons work and the applications start
up and function correctly, when I shut down an application, X shuts down with
it.

I have Googled repeatedly; and tried out every permutation I could think of in
every file that I either found recommended or could dream up.  I have looked
in a large number of books.  I have got Idesk running fine - but never IceWm
simultaneously.

I think that I need to put "Idesk" into one of the configuration files.  But
which????

TIA
Lisi