Re: starting Idesk automatically in IceWM on Lenny

On Monday 12 October 2009 23:02:19 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 22:52, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Yes.  But I omitted to mention that because I forgot, that putting an &
> > after both startx and Idesk results in Idesk running correctly - but only
> > if and when I open a terminal: and Idesk then closes when I shut the
> > terminal down.
>
> Why are you using startx in a .Xsession? If you're running the X
> server by entering startx in the console, then having startx in
> .Xsession will launch a second X server, no? So, regardless of how you
> start up your X, the .Xsession file should not contain startx.

I don't run the xserver by entering startx in the console.  I have it starting
and running automatically via an entry in ~/.bash_profile.

> All entries in your .Xsession or similar must end with &, so they'll
> run in the background, except the last one. This last one should be
> your window manager. For instance, mine's this:
>
> exec xscreensaver -no-splash &
> exec /usr/bin/fluxbox
>
> Yours should be:
>
> exec idesk &
> exec /path/to/otherapp &
> exec /usr/bin/icewm
>
> I've tried idesk before and gave up for some reason, but i think i had
> it working...

I have it working well - but only from the command lime, by entering the idesk
command.  And even then, on one of the computers, as a child of the terminal,
so that X shuts down if I close the terminal; and when it does start, it only
starts up if Icewm is running

But I want it to run automatically at startup.

Thanks for your help.

Lisi