Re: Need advice from experts in complex multi-boot setups.

Hello,

AFAIK at least for Linux you need 1 primary partition of small size (200MB is nearly too big) which contains /boot if you want to use LVM.

greetings,
vitaminx

2009/10/3 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
>> I purchased an Iomega mobile HDD 250GB and am planning
>> to install on it several OSs: MacOSX 10.5.8 (Hackintosh),
>> Solaris10, OpenSolaris, Debian, OpenSuse, Fedora, BSDs
>> (FreeBSD and OpenBSD). The computer is a Dell netbook
>> Mini9 which supports all these operative systems very well
>>(with the Solaris family only the Wifi driver does not
>> exist natively,and needs a driver designed for Windows).
>> I need some advice about the right strategy to follow,
>> especially about:

>> 1) For what OSs use primary partitions or logical partitions.

The Linuxes can boot from logical partitions.

Never tried to boot the Solarises from anything other than primary
partitions; sorry.

Never used Hackintosh or the other BSDs.

>> 2) Different swap partitions for different OSs?

The Linuxes and Solarises can share a swap partition.

A former colleague once claimed that Linux could use a FreeBSD swap
slice as a Linux swap partition (but not the other way around). He was
very knowledgeable so I assume that it is possible.

OS X uses swap files in its /var/vm directory, so Hackintosh probably
does too and therefore must not need a swap partition.

> Please tell us how you can manage to boot Leopard (OS X
> 10.5) on a Dell Netbook.

OS X has been hacked to boot on non-Apple hardware (and installers
have been posted online); probably using the fact that OS X is based
on Mach/FreeBSD. Technically interesting but morally...