Re: Building a 2.6.30 kernel that does NOT require initrd

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Alex Samad wrote:

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:51:12PM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009, Alex Samad wrote:

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 05:46:47PM -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:

[snip]

I was just seeing if I was missing something, it just seems like a pain
to have to recompile, although with all the tools thats easy.  Maybe it
just me getting older, but I tend to stick to the path of least
resistance.

Ironically I go with no initrd for exactly the same reason - I've
never learned to build the initrd file, and it seems harder to
handle the extra step. But given this hurdle I may just have to
learn!
strange cause you should be able to apt-get linux-image-<flavour> and it
will build the initrd for you nothing more to do, but that means use the
stock debian kernel

True enough - but I need to built a custom kernel so the stock kernel isn't an option.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Associate Professor and Associate Chair of Sociology
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA