Re: Building a 2.6.30 kernel that does NOT require initrd

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 17:34 -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:
> Anyone else with grub2 have any advice for Andrew?  Is it normal for grub2
> to show a blank screen when booting a kernel?

When I upgraded to Grub2 last week I was getting a completely blank
screen during kernel boot. Eventually I fixed things by editing the
linux command line at boot to add "vga=795" - this sets the console
screen mode to 1280x1024.

(After boot the change can be made permanent by adding "vga=795" to the
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX entry in /etc/default/grub, then running
update-grub.)

I have noticed that running "vbeinfo" under grub2 shows modes that I've
not managed to get the kernel to handle, e.g. widescreen modes. Giving
it one of these modes results in black screens during boot and for my
console afterwards.

--
Tixy