Re: Mini 10v

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:38:40AM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed,23.Sep.09, 22:47:04, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > How about a PIII-500 machine with 384 MB RAM running from an 1GB USB
> > > stick?
> >
> > Machines with much smaller memory and slower processor were used as
> > departmental mail servers not that long ago.  Believe me, it's a no
> > brainer.  I run postfix on my Neo Freerunner (128MB RAM) and haven't
> > noticed it being a problem.  If you don't use it, the kernel will swap
> > it out.
>
> - because it's on a stick it has no swap
> - this machine is good enough for the typical MPEG-4 movies (on my
>   hi-res TV), but I don't want to risk skips in the middle of the movie
>   just because postfix is running it's queue or whatever.

If you really hate MTA being resident, run queue comman like "exim -q"
from command line, cron or some hook script so it does not interfair
with your activity.  Simplest thing to do is run queue from command line
when you exit MUA. Install postfix or exim as nondaemon.

Program size (resident memory) is your issue.  Just run "ps" or "top"
and see what "RES" say on your system.  mailer is baby in size compaired
to any X apps.

Osamu