Re: where would i configure an external HD to be automounted?

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:08:46AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   no, i don't think i should need to do that.  the *old* system
> didn't have an entry in /etc fstab for this.  what i'm puzzled by is
> that, if the automounter isn't running, there's *no* /mnt directory on
> this system.

It is udev.  It takes partition label as location.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch03.en.html#_the_udev_system

> i always thought that /mnt should exist as a normal (but
> empty) directory.  i'm *guessing* that what i need to do is stop the
> automounter, then "mkdir /mnt", then restart the automounter.

I remember we had automounter damon in old days.  We have udev hook
scripts these days.

> p.s.  i'm sure i can simplify this with udev, but i'm trying to simply
> reproduce what was on the old system for now.

You mean "on an old lenny system"? it is new enough.  Even sarge is new
enough for udev.