Re: Grub 1.5 error after update

ariestao@clearmail.com.au wrote:
>> Frank <beacon <at> videotron.ca> writes:
>>
>>> I have googled the problem but can't make head nor tail of the
>>> solutions.
>>>
>>> During today's update on my testing machine I was asked whether I wanted
>>> update to grub2. I said OK - after the re boot I picked the chain
>>> option. The
>>> boot went well, so I ran the update-from-grub-legacy script. Now I am
>>> getting
>>> Grub 1.5 error and the boot goes nowhere.
>>>

> Did the same thing and when asked which hda[] it should boot from just hit
> enter. I should have put "3" into those brackets in my case,

  First of all just fixed my problem...by purging grub-pc in a chroot,
then running a cd of supergrub disc. Dam good thing I had that. That
allowed me to reinstall grub-legacy and everything **seems** to be fine now.

I didn't even see those brackets on the question!!! I too hit enter
figuring the choice was between hda and sda. Sloppy sloppy.

 but didn't.
> So reinstalled but can't download anyting to get the system going again,
> because it's missing glibc-2.9-1 which is a virtual package apparently.
>
> So my system is down for the count, and considering installing again, but
> Lenny this time, because it will work.

  I used to run Sid but got tired of it being broken a lot of the time
so I switched to Squeeze. I guess Lenny is really the safest for those
of us who don't want to spend their lives fixing problems.

> So wait to see if someone has a fix before you attempt to install testing
> again. Because you may hit the same wall.

   No need for that thank God. What happened to glibc ???