Re: Raid disk delimma

Jack Schneider wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> Somewhere (about 9/15) in my enthusiasm for Debian, Testing up2date
>  & kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64,--updating I said (y) where I should have said
> (q). My system will not boot correctly. It halts with: fsck died with
> exit status 8
>
> I have  4 disks, 2 in raid1, ie. 2 in use - 2 unused
>
> Disks are setup as /dev/md0 --/root (small-ish) partition and /dev/md1
> much  bigger containing /tmp /opt /var and several VirtualBox DVI
> partitions all under lvm2.
>
> I get to the "Give root password for maintenance etc." place and when I
> do it will not allow me to find any logs.  I can run dmesg which looks
> normal.  Anything that that tries to use /var -locks. etc. fails, so
> it's unable to find /dev/md1 and contents..it seems to me... df -h
> finds /md0 but not /md1
>
> I have tried to google/linux and man on mdadm etc.  but  ... nothing
> close... I don't know where to go from here...  HELP! or directions,
> Please!
>
> TIA  Jack

Hi,

really don't know if it's relevant in your situation, but I was once
stuck with such a situation on a raid1 system (which worked correctly
for a while). Turned out that the filesystem size was incorrect, and was
overlapping with the superblocks (don't know how it happened, must have
been at the raid creation time).
I ran a e2fsck -cc (from a live-cd, takes a while), then resize2fs and
finally fsck on every raid group.

It does the trick, and the system has been running fine ever since (was
± one year ago.)

Hope it helps,

Tom