Re: Raid disk delimma

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 19:03:45 +0200
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> Let's keep this on the list...

OK with me.. I normally just hit reply in Claws 3.5.  You may get 2
if I use reply-all..

> also sprach Jack Schneider <puck@dp-indexing.com> [2009.09.21.1857
> +0200]:
> > Results from : 	mdadm -Asayes
> >
> > 		Just returns a prompt: #
> >
> > 		vgchange -a (gives argument needed message)
> >
> > 		vgchange -a y :gives  "7 logical volume(s) in volume
> > 		group "Speeduke" now active"
> >
> > 'first seems to complete without error and the second (with my
> > change) seems to indicate that all volume groups are found...hmmm!
>
> I'll take a shot into the dark: does it work if you add rootdelay=30
> to the linux kernel boot line? E.g.
>
>   kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/md0 rootdelay=30
>
> This will incur a 30 second delay during boot. If that makes it
> work, you can experiment with lowering this value, but you will need
> to have some sort of sleep in there like that, because apparently
> your controllers need more time to make the disks available, and
> they do not properly convey to the kernel when they're ready.
>
> Cheers,

You mean in the grub boot edit function?  At  boot-up ?  Where I
put it, /boot/grub/menu.lst  It didn't help...  Same fault.

Sorry about that..  It was not a problem until the 2.6.30 update I did
about 9/14- 9/15 time frame... the problem came up after the next
boot.  I had to shut down for a storm... I don't trust UPS's for
protection..8-(

TIA,  Jack