Raid disk delimma

Hi, All

Somewhere (about 9/15) in my enthusiasm for Debian, Testing up2date
 & kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64,--updating I said (y) where I should have said
(q). My system will not boot correctly. It halts with: fsck died with
exit status 8

I have  4 disks, 2 in raid1, ie. 2 in use - 2 unused

Disks are setup as /dev/md0 --/root (small-ish) partition and /dev/md1
much  bigger containing /tmp /opt /var and several VirtualBox DVI
partitions all under lvm2.

I get to the "Give root password for maintenance etc." place and when I
do it will not allow me to find any logs.  I can run dmesg which looks
normal.  Anything that that tries to use /var -locks. etc. fails, so
it's unable to find /dev/md1 and contents..it seems to me... df -h
finds /md0 but not /md1

I have tried to google/linux and man on mdadm etc.  but  ... nothing
close... I don't know where to go from here...  HELP! or directions,
Please!

TIA  Jack