Re: install problem

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:
This is really an embarrassing question for an old Debian hand to
ask, but how do I install Debian?

I just bought a "netbook" which has no CDROM drive, but which can
boot from a USB stick. I could dd an Ubuntu image to the stick and
then boot from it. But I prefer just plain old Debian.

I found (through the Debian home page) an image called
debian-503-i386-netinst.iso. I dd'd it to the stick. But the
netbook does not boot from it.

There must be something very elementary which I did wrong. But what?

Regards, Jan

Here are the instructions you will need: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en

"There is an all-in-one file hd-media/boot.img.gz which contains all the installer files (including the kernel) as well as syslinux and its configuration file.

To use this image simply extract it directly to your USB stick:

# zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdX

After that, mount the USB memory stick (mount /dev/sdX /mnt), which will now have a FAT filesystem on it, and copy a Debian netinst or businesscard ISO image to it. Unmount the stick (umount /mnt) and you are done. "

regards
TW