Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 12:16:32 Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Wed,16.Sep.09, 07:21:52, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >>   i've mentioned this before, but by the end of this week, i want to
> >> move my entire current (fully-updated) lenny install from an old
> >> 32-bit system to a new 64-bit dell server, and i'm open to advice on
> >> the easiest and most error-free way to do that.
>
> Hi, this is a question I was going to ask in few weeks as I planned to
> learn how I can migrate from 32 to 64 bit debian distro.

There is no official migration path.  Reinstall.

> It looks like it's not possible to just upgrade i.e. replacing the sources
> in apt/source.list?

Modern sources.list files do not have the architecture listed.  Apt pulls this
information from dpkg.  Modifying your dpkg architecture is not supported.

> Is it really that hard to switch from 32 to 64?

Smoothly, yes.  Especially since current (Lenny) versions of the apt tools
don't support multi-arch installations.  If multi-arch was in place it might
be feasible, but still very difficult since there should be times during the
switch that essential packages were missing, not configured, or otherwise non-
functional.

> Is it not possible to replace the sources and i.e. dpkg --reinstall install
> <package>?

That could work for most packages, but the essential ones might bite you and
leave you with a non-functional system.

Most applications don't gain a whole lot by running in 64-bit mode.  Using a
64-bit kernel with a 32-bit installation is supported and may be acceptable
until multi-arch provides an upgrade path OR you can take the time to re-
install.