Re: migrating my lenny install from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Emanoil Kotsev:

> Hi, this is a question I was going to ask in few weeks as I planned to learn
> how I can migrate from 32 to 64 bit debian distro.
>
> It looks like it's not possible to just upgrade i.e. replacing the sources
> in apt/source.list?

You can try finding all occurences of i386 and replacing them with amd64
in your sources.list. But I doubt you will find any. ;-) To be serious:
apt determines the architecture for which to fetch packages by itself.
AFAIK, you cannot instruct it to use a different architecture.

> Is it really that hard to switch from 32 to 64?

Unfortunately, yes. Maybe this will change when MultiArch is finally
implemented, but I am not too optimistic that this will happen in the
near future.

J.
--
In idle moments I remember former lovers with sentimental tenderness.
[Agree]   [Disagree]