Re: local linux (debian) support

Patrick Holthuizen wrote :
> Hello,
>
> Since a few weeks I am thinking about the idea to provide support for
> Linux in my local neighborhood for people who do not have much
> experience with mailing lists, only speak their native language
> (non-english) and/or prefer the physical appearance of a person for some
> other reason. Besides participating in a local Linux user group I
> thought of the idea to fill a google map with my contact details and
> information about which physical area I am willing to provide support
> for, for example:
>
> http://maps.google.nl/maps/ms?hl=nl&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101371347574559367262.0004733f5a52cceeb5c90&z=12
>
> Now I wonder, does something like this already exist? What do you think
> about this idea? I for a person think this could be a good idea for
> providing something like a physical support network for Linux.
>
> Thanks for your critique in advance!
>
> Sincerely,
> Patrick Holthuizen

Hi,

very good idea, for French speaking people there's "parrain Linux"
(Linux stepfather) where volunteers leave their contact, wherever they
live, so that French speaking folks can email/ring them to help
troubleshooting, find linux friendly places, wifi hotspots, or just
share a few fine pubs addresses and Linux tell-talk in front of a beer.

http://www.parrain-linux.com/

The good thing with this system is that it minimizes annoyances from
spam and such, since the first message is mediated by "parrain-linux".
If the "parrain" doesn't respond, the person asking will never get a
real email or contact.
Maybe it would be great to extend the principle to other languages, or
set up a more debian-centric website like this one ?

Tom