Re: editing configurations

(Like I said... let's keep this on the list!!!!)

On 2009-09-07 17:23, John Mundinger wrote:
I think I created two accounts when I installed the system.  I don't see an
option for logging into a root account while the system is booting up.  The
only login option that I see is at the GUI.

Good enough.

While logged in as yourself, open a terminal window and type this:
su -

Once you've done that, and entered the root password, you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst with the editor of your choice.

nano is the "standard" newbie editor, but others, like joe, would also work just as well.

I'm not too concerned about security on this machine.  It's an only system
that I am using for the purpose of reducing my level of cyber-cstupidity.  I
will not have data on it that needs to be secure and there is nothing I can
do to it that I can't fix by inserting an XP SP3 installation cd and
starting all over again.  And, if security were an issue, I'd need more than
the password to get onto my wireless network anyway.

Except that someone might hijack your connection and Use It To Do Bad Things. Or *download* really disgusting pictures of very young people, the downloading of which would be traced back to you, the ruined life being yours, even if you (eventually) are found innocent.

Have you plugged in the WG511, and Debian not recognized it?