Re: editing configurations

On 2009-09-07 16:11, John Mundinger wrote:
I have an older laptop computer and decided that I would like to become
familiar with working in the Linux operation environment.  So, I downloaded
an image file for the minimal installation [i386] and, after burning that
image to a CD, I used the CD to complete the internet installation.
Apparently the installation was successful and I now have a dual boot
computer with Windows XP SP3 operating in one partition and Linux/GRUB in
the other.

Now, my question.  I would like to change the boot sequence and change to a
30 second delay on startup.  I found information about how to do that by

By doing your own research?  If so, *excellent*!

editing file system/boot/grub/menu.lst.  However, that file is read only.  I

system?

am not able to revise permissions and, therefore, am unable to edit/save
that file.

As what user are you trying to edit this file?

I also would like to figure out how to install the drivers for the wireless
network card.

What card?  Specifically, which chipset?  lspci is your friend, here.

               I have found some preliminary information about how to do
that.  But, I suspect that I will not be able to edit the configuration
files necessary to do that, either.

Sure you can.  Millions of people have done it, and so will you.  :)

Do you have any suggestions about how I might be able to change the
permissions so that I am able to modify some of the configuration settings?

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!