editing configurations

I have an older laptop computer and decided that I would like to become familiar with working in the Linux operation environment.  So, I downloaded an image file for the minimal installation [i386] and, after burning that image to a CD, I used the CD to complete the internet installation.  Apparently the installation was successful and I now have a dual boot computer with Windows XP SP3 operating in one partition and Linux/GRUB in the other.

Now, my question.  I would like to change the boot sequence and change to a 30 second delay on startup.  I found information about how to do that by editing file system/boot/grub/menu.lst.  However, that file is read only.  I am not able to revise permissions and, therefore, am unable to edit/save that file.

I also would like to figure out how to install the drivers for the wireless network card.  I have found some preliminary information about how to do that.  But, I suspect that I will not be able to edit the configuration files necessary to do that, either.

Do you have any suggestions about how I might be able to change the permissions so that I am able to modify some of the configuration settings?

Thanks.  jgm