Re: Inquiry:How to totally wipe out the entire hard drive

In <[🔎] 4AA40F4C.1050007@attglobal.net>, Napoleon wrote:
>John Hasler wrote:
>> Napoleon writes:
>>> Overwriting with zeros (or ones) once is not at all secure.  It can
>>> easily be nearly 100% recovered by someone with the necessary
>>> equipment, even more so on a modern drive.
>>
>> Please provide evidence that anyone has ever done this on a modern
>> drive.
>>
>> In any case I doubt that the OP has secrets worthy of the attention of
>> people with "the necessary equipment", whatever that may be.
>
>The FBI can do it, for instance.

Do you have any supporting evidence for this statement?

>Some data recovery companies can also
>do it.

Do you have any supporting evidence for this statement?

Both of these parties have the ability to recover physically damaged disk
better than the average consumer.  Here equipment is valuable, as you can
replace broken parts that do not contain data.  Also, you can use equipment or
parts that have different behavior when errors are encountered.

Both of these parties have the ability to undelete files better than the
average consumer.  Here technical knowledge is valuable, based on how files
are delete by the OS (hint: the data isn't overwritten at all), and the file
system journal (and other "global" information) you can often recover files
that have been deleted.

>I'm sure there are many others who can, even on modern drives.

No, no one can on modern drives.  The research has been done.  For virtually
all "data loads" on a hard drive a single over-write with zeros is
irrecoverable.  (If you wrote the same 128-bit pattern over and over across
and entire 1TiB hard drive, (so, 2^26 copies of the same data) you might be
able to recover it.)