Re: Forming drives together into a cache hierarchy

Paul Richards:
> 2009/9/2 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>:
>>
>> My recommendation: buy more RAM, install the OS to an SSD and copy the
>> data most often used there as well. Put the rest on a regular disk and
>> write a boot script to force the data you are interested in into the
>> filesystem cache.
>>
>> If you cannot tell which data you are interested in in advance or if
>> this subset of your data changes often, "caching" on an SSD is a hard
>> problem to solve anyway.
>
> I have to admit I'm slightly surprised by your response.  Caching has
> massive benefit for main memory, so much so that we have several
> layers of cache.  What is different about hard disks?  I don't see why
> RAM (filesystem cache) <-> SSD <-> Rotating disk is such a bad idea..

It was not my intention to suggest that your solution would not work or
was a bad idea. I just wanted to suggest an easier method which would
require almost no setup and no maintenance at all. Adding another layer
of complexity on top of, say, LVM and crypto devices will make managing
your system more complex while the speed gain my be smaller than by
simply using more RAM (depends on how large you cache needs to be,
obviously).

> An SSD cache has a number of benefits over a filesystem cache in RAM.
> Price per GB will be much lower, and also it will persist over a
> reboot.

True. My reply was based on the impression that there are no mature,
widely deployed solutions for your idea. Hence, I suggested an
alternative.

J.
--
In the west we kill people like chickens.
[Agree]   [Disagree]