Re: Forming drives together into a cache hierarchy

On 2009-09-02 05:30, Paul Richards wrote:
Is there a way to combine a large slow drive with a fast small drive
in such a way that the faster drive simply becomes a cache for the
larger drive?

I imagine a computer where I'd like to have a small fast SSD and a
large but slow spinning disk.  I'd like to put the two block devices
together so that I'm presented with a single logical block device,
where the operating system is using the SSD as a cache (either
inclusive or exclusive, write-though or otherwise) of the spinning
disk.

I'd think about selling the SSD and either buy more RAM or a SCSI controller and a 10K RPM drive.

Is there some magic in LVM that can do this?

If there is nothing at the block device level can it be done at the
filesystem level?

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!